Friday, December 8, 2017

Only

              The word 'only' is so exclusive


   If I accept only this or that into my life I, by definition, exclude the other choices I might encounter. If it is a matter of choosing good and bad, only choosing good is a positive thing. If it is a matter of choosing good or better, then things get more difficult. Add in choosing only the best, then many, many things will be excluded.



     I don't know for sure where I'm going with this but here is an example. I am a very visual person. I decided one day to organize my books by color or color harmony. That process of choosing, let's say, only warm colors for a shelf made me exclude many books that were similar in subject and even the same author was shelved differently. Visually the whole bookshelf was very satisfying to look at. Only, it was hard to find a book because as yet I hadn't memorized the color of every book's spine. Did I abandon my exclusive shelving idea? No, I did not. The visual appeal, for me,was better than the shelving by author or subject. Paul admonished us to choose the better way, which he later explained was the way Christ loved. His charity for others was only based on pure love. I am here on earth to learn to choose. How I organize my life should reflect my best choices. How I shelve my thoughts should attract more good thoughts which should ultimately turn me outward to others, more than inward to my own self.  


"If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."

 


I have been writing with the Five Minute Friday group for more than three years and I really enjoy the talented writers who share themselves each week.

2 comments:

  1. I like that idea for shelving your books- I think it looks great! I also like your point about using love as the basis of the choices we make about how to organise our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just recently did this with the clothes in my closet!! CHANGED my life!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?