Friday, February 2, 2018

Agree

Give me the portion of goods that
 falleth to me.


It is common among families to have disagreement. God's own family is not in agreement. Daily we feel the resistance to goodness originating with one of the sons of God. I find it telling that often those that leave when the disagreement gets most intense want that portion of their inheritance before they set off on their journey. They want now what they haven't earned.


Luke 15:
11 And he said, A certain man had two sons:12 And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living. 13 And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living.



I am humbled to realize that God did not deny our inheritance when we were sent to earth. He didn't say you are on your own, good riddance. We came to earth with gifts. One  very essential one being the ability to choose right from wrong. No matter how we frame our story, that still small voice reminds us what is right. I feel very much like the Prodigal Son. I have wasted some of my precious time on earth. I am intensely moved by the father in this parable. 




Will I have any grounds to expect an inheritance? My Heavenly Father and I can agree on one essential thing, it will be grace that brings me back into his arms.


***************************************



And, I thank-you for reading some of my mystery novel, Rubato. Judith makes a decision which, upon reflection, changes the lives of others, not for the better.



5 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorites Gabriele. Perhaps because I identify so much with the Prodigal too. Yes, it's grace that welcomes us home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this parable too. The father's response to his son is such a powerful picture of God's grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The prodigal is such a great story in Scripture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gabriele, my husband meditated on this parable for months. He was very fond of Henri Nouwen's book on the parable called, The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming. We're all prodigals in need of God's grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting. I will look up that book by Nouwen.

      Delete

What do you think?